katsurashareware.com Forum Index katsurashareware.com
shareware for creative Mac OS X users

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doesn't ProPhase work with audio outputs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    katsurashareware.com Forum Index -> ProPhase Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: doesn't ProPhase work with audio outputs? Reply with quote

none of audio signal analyzer/viewer apps works with audio outputs unless you use a third-party audio redirecting utility such as Soundflower, Jack OSX, AudioHijack, and WireTap Pro.

Soundflower doesn't seem to work well with my Digidesign Mbox but i'm pretty sure it does work with other audio devices.

Soundflower (free)
http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

Jack OSX (free)
http://www.jackosx.com/

AudioHijack ($16)
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

AudioHijack Pro ($32)
http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

WireTap Pro ($19)
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is an example using Soundflower.

1. install Soundflower, and restart your Mac.
2. open the Sound preference panel, and choose "Soundflower (2ch)" as the default output device.
3. open the Soundflowerbed application, and choose "Built-in Audio" for "Soundflower (2ch)" from the Soundflower menu on the menu bar.
4. open iTunes for example.
5. open ProPhase (or ProLevel), and choose "Soundflower (2ch)" from the input device popup button.
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is another example.

1. install Soundflower, and restart your Mac.
2. open whatever the app that you want to monitor the output, and choose "Soundflower (2ch)" as the output device within the app.
3. open the Soundflowerbed application, and choose the actual output device you want to use (e.g. "Built-in Audio") for "Soundflower (2ch)" from the Soundflower menu on the menu bar.
4. open ProPhase (or any of my shareware that takes audio input), and choose "Soundflower (2ch)" from the input device menu.
supergimp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to use ProPhase (awesome, BTW) to monitor the outputs of DVD Player and Quicktime Player. I can get metering using Soundflower, but since there is no output from ProPhase, I can't hear the audio on the internal speakers of my MacBook Pro at the same time. I've messed with Soundflower and Jack to no avail. Is there any way around this?
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure to do the step "3. open the Soundflowerbed application, ..."

you need to select the actual output device from the Soundflowerbed menu on the menu bar.
supergimp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that (I think) with no result.

I:

1. Opened Quicktime Player, loaded my movie
2. Opened Sound Prefs
3. Set Output to Soundflower (2ch)
4. Set Soundflowerbed to Soundflower (2ch) -> Built-in Output
5. Open ProPhase Device: Soundflower (2ch)

When I play the video, I hear nothing, but see the audio on ProPhase
If I open Sound Prefs and go to the output Tab, selecting Internal Speakers I can hear the audio but not see it on ProPhase. Clicking Soundflower (2ch) in the same tab toggles ProPhase on (I see the meters) but the speakers off.

I can't seen to get both at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundflower is somewhat unstable. you may need to select something else and select Built-in Output again.
supergimp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming that it should work - made me stick with it. I realized that I had the latest Soundflower installed (1.4) which states it is in beta. I downgraded to 1.2.1 and it works now.

Cheers.

Steve
jdwhite00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Pro Level Reply with quote

I have followed the instructions, and have downloaded Sunflower and successfully adjusted my System prefs to allow for output metering.

but is there no way to be able to monitor thru headphones or external speakers, while simultaneously monitoring the levels thru Pro Level?

I do quite a bit of QC work with Quicktime, and need to be able to hear my signal, as well as check the levels.

thanks for the help.
john
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i monitor the output in ProLevel and listen to it from the speakers everyday. you just need to set it up properly.

if you can monitor in ProLevel but you are not getting the actual output from your headphones or speakers, that means you are not setting the actual output in the Soundflowerbed menu from the menubar.

if you can not monitor in ProLevel but you are getting the actual output from your headphones or speaks, that means you are not setting the Soundflower output properly in the Sound preferences panel (or whatever your sound output software).

thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    katsurashareware.com Forum Index -> ProPhase Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: