katsurashareware.com Forum Index katsurashareware.com
shareware for creative Mac OS X users

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chromatic Tuner is confused on the pitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    katsurashareware.com Forum Index -> Chromatic Tuner Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belthasar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Chromatic Tuner is confused on the pitch Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a problem with my Chromatic Tuner: it doesn't seem to get te pitch, but messes around as confused with other pitches: it doesn't find rest.
I must note that I use an Apple Integrated Microphone on my Flatpanel and that there is no ambient noise in my room except the buzzing of the computer itself (which, of course, is very low in intensity).
What can the problem be?
Thank you,

Belthasar
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the level meter respond when you make sound (or play instrument)?

if not, a wrong input device or source is selected and it's just picking up noises.

if it does, it is possible that the input level is too high or too sensitive. try lowering the input level.

katsura
Belthasar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level meter responds when I make a particularly steady sound (like singing a note), but keeps going a bit up and down with frequencies.
When I use it to tune my instrument (an harp) the sound of the string is too "fast" and, while the tuner gets it for a moment, it's suddenly confused again.

I noticed that this frequencies he is picking up are between 20 hz and 50 hz. These very low frequencies probably are the noises of the computer itself, and it doesn't matter if I low the input level, he still hears them.

Isn't there an option to ignore certain frequencies (like frequencies below a specified floor) or to set a noise floor under which it should ignore any sound?
These would be two useful and simple options.

Thank you.
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: place the source source closer to the mic Reply with quote

in order to increase the signal to noise ratio, you just need to play your instrument closer to the microphone (or use an external mic and place it closer to the instrument).

none of my tuners currently have any hi-, low-, or band-pass filter.
Belthasar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I play my instrument very close, but, since it still hears the background noises (or whatever are they), the tuning is imprecise and the meter is difficult to catch.
By the way, thank you for your kindness anyway. Beautiful work.
katsura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are welcome. and thanks for your feedback.

it is strange that it doesn't work in your environment. it must be extremely noisy or something wrong with the mic.

btw, the meter and cent readout will always fluctuate as long as you input "natural" (as opposed to artificial and precise) sound since it in fact fluctuates.

and i really recommend to use Strobe Tuner since it comensates that fluctuation in the strobe tuning meter (not in the cent readout).
WhiteTao

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: place the source source closer to the mic Reply with quote

katsura wrote:
in order to increase the signal to noise ratio, you just need to play your instrument closer to the microphone (or use an external mic and place it closer to the instrument).

none of my tuners currently have any hi-, low-, or band-pass filter.

now i know how to fix mine. your post really a big help adn i am just thankful that i discovered your post. thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    katsurashareware.com Forum Index -> Chromatic Tuner Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: